Tuesday 4 May 2010

evaluation

At the very start I didn’t think that this module would be so time-consuming. At the beginning the students were divided into a few groups. Our task was to come up with an exhibition theme. My group chose a ‘nature’ theme. Unfortunately the group wasn’t very good. Some members did not carry out their work so everything was done at the last moment. I think they did not treat the job seriously. As for the first group project, I was responsible for layout. I presented our ideas in 3D and also created some logos. I have to admit that I was ashamed of the final presentation because our work was not finished. (two persons from my group did not finish their tasks or … just did them one hour before the presentation). In the mean time, as everybody in the class, I had to create a CV and a business card. I had problems with creating my business card and CV. I had many ideas but I couldn’t really decide which one would be best for me.. When I finally finished my CV and business card their styles were totally different. The idea was to keep the same style referring to the CV and business card (which makes sense). After being given feedback it was changed. Another problem appeared when we were told that we should fallow the same style when creating a blog and a website. I think if this had been said earlier it would have been much easier to organise our work. At first I wanted my business card and CV to be clear, easy to read with simple design but I also wanted to show my 3D skills. For this purpose I used the image banner that I produced for ‘design studio’. I think my CV and business card look simple and aesthetic which was something I wanted to achieve. We also had to present our work through the internet. I decided to deal with website rather than with blog to publish my work. For the website I used the same graphics and style as I did for the CV and business card so that there was ‘connection’. The problem with creating a website was the time. I believe If I had more time the website would look better. Another work that everyone had to do (as a personal work) was producing a printed portfolio. Probably this was a real problem in the whole group. The truth is that within last three 3 years at the uni we did not create images (or images are not good enough) to be shown in our portfolio. We were more concentrated on animation, modelling and so on. It was a bit confused by the fact that so many people in the class didn’t know what they could show. Even for me it was confusing because I mostly did 3D models and animations rather than images. To create my portfolio I decided to use images and graphics that I had created before studying at uni. Very few images recently done were also used . I showed some logos ideas, posters, images, screen shots of animation and so on. To organise the portfolio I decided to put several images onto one page, for example: ‘cartoon network’. Three screen shots were inserted together, thanks to this, it is clear that they belong to the same project. Again I believe I could produce a better portfolio if I had more time. I would change the background colour for each of the printed pages. The main project was the ‘studio desing’ project. The class was devided again into three small groups when each group was responsible for something diffrent. I was in ‘graphic team’ I never produced anything for the website so I am quite happy I had opportunity to gain some experience and knowledge of creating banners and images for the website. I think this knowledge can be useful for me. I created graphics for banners and posters. The problem was I was not in the meeting week before, when It the class discussed the style, so we couldn’t use any of my work as they were in diffrent style. But we could use some ideas. One of the posters that I have created was used later. The walls were covered with paint so the style match to the style that class have chose. This picture was also used in the website. For the banners I also had some ideas but the group most liked the idea of poeple covered with paint. The onl thing they wanted me to add was the ‘studio desing’ text in top left corner. Personall I like the banner. I think it looks fresh and it really match well to the ‘studio design’ style. To say something about style... I have to say I am not happy of the style that class decided to go with. I think that is a bit childish, when in my opinion we should show ourselfs from maturity point of view. I also think that the website is not that good as it could be. I do not like the wooden backround with white box with the text (description) in centre of the website as it does not look good. I am not a web designer and I could not do it better but as a viewer I think it does not look good. But I respect the other people opinions and I tried to give them what they expected from me. That was a good lesson for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment